January is the traditional time of year when many of us make New Year’s resolutions…
Inevitably it happens. You’re going through your morning routine in front of the mirror and suddenly notice new lines and wrinkles.
‘What are those and how did they get there’ you ask?
‘Crows feet’, ‘worry lines’, ‘smiles lines’ – we all have our pet names for them. But the bottom line is that they make us look older than we feel. And that’s a problem!
So, how did they get there?
Aging skin, wrinkles, and fine lines result from a combination of factors: cellular changes, collagen depletion, loss of hormones, or damage caused by free radicals.
But you may be surprised to learn that it’s the tens of thousands of facial expressions you’ve made over your lifetime that do the most damage.
While aging makes your skin more elastic, when you combine that with years spent squinting at papers or computer screens, focusing hard on the task at hand, or frowning, your skin will form permanent creases.
This is especially true between the eyes, where the skin is thinner and frown lines are more visible:
• The vertical lines that develop between your eyebrows are caused by muscle contractions. Whenever you concentrate, squint, or frown, the muscles between your eyebrows contract, causing your skin to furrow and fold. After years of frequent contraction, those wrinkles, creases, and fine lines can linger even though the muscles are resting.
• ‘Frown lines’, every woman’s worst nightmare. Whether they are 1’s (a single furrow), 11’s (double furrows) or 111’s (multiple ones), they make you look tired, worried and older.
Enter BOTOX®: A Simple Solution
However, there is a solution, which is non-surgical, quick and long lasting.
BOTOX® Cosmetic medication is injected directly into muscle tissue under the skin, improving the appearance of moderate-to-severe frown lines between the eyebrows. It is a temporary but effective treatment.
Administered by a physician, dermatologist, or healthcare professional, BOTOX® Cosmetic works by obstructing nerve impulses to the injected muscles, decreasing muscle activity that creates moderate to severe lines between the eyebrows.
There are three primary reasons why doctors choose BOTOX® Cosmetic over other procedures:
• Non-surgical: BOTOX® is one of the least invasive procedures you can have. All it takes are few small shots and you will look years younger.
• It’s quick and immediate: Having a BOTOX® procedure takes ten minutes and the results show up almost immediately.
• Long-lasting: Results of BOTOX® last up to four months, much longer than some other non-surgical dermatological procedures.
Is a BOTOX® COSMETIC Procedure Right For You?
To find out if BOTOX® is right for you, book a consultation with Dr. Richard Price.
Here’s what happens in a consultation:
• You will talk to Dr. Price to see if BOTOX® will work for you. You will need to go over all of your medical conditions, as well as list all of the medications and vitamins that you take. A full listing of all of your skincare products and regimen may be required as well.
• Dr. Price will look at the muscles in your face to see if BOTOX® will give you the results that you want.
• You will have the opportunity to ask Dr. Price questions about BOTOX®.
• If Dr. Price feels that BOTOX® will work in your situation, he will inject a small amount of BOTOX® into the areas that you have discussed. There is no surgery required – just a small needle! You will not need to undergo anesthesia, and will be awake the entire time. You might need to have the injection areas numbed slightly, but this can be done with anesthetic cream or a cold pack.
(Potential side effects of BOTOX® include bruising, redness, swelling, bleeding, inflammation, pain, tenderness and infection.)
Things Dr Price will need to know:
• If you have Lou Gehrig’s Disease (ALS or amyotrophic lateral sclerosis), Lambert-Eaton syndrome, myasthenia gravis, or any other conditions that affect your nervous system or muscles, it’s imperative that Dr. Price know about any of these conditions before you get BOTOX® Cosmetic injections.
• You also need to go over any medications and vitamins that you are currently taking, as well as any allergies to medications or botulinum toxin. If you have had BOTOX® in the past and had an unpleasant reaction to it, you’ll need to discuss this as well.
Other things that may affect whether or not you can undergo a BOTOX® procedure are:
• If you are currently pregnant or could become pregnant
• If you are currently breastfeeding your infant(s)
• If you have had any past facial surgeries or similar dermatology treatments
• If you have any known bleeding or swallowing problems, or have drooping eyelids.
BOTOX® Cosmetic is a dermatology medication that is available by prescription only and is administered by dermatologists, trained medical personnel, and physicians such as Dr. Price.
To schedule your consultation with Dr. Price call: (601) 992-3996.